Binoculars, aka field glasses, are two side-by-side telescopes that allow a person to view distant objects using both eyes, which creates an impression of depth. They can be used for a number of applications, such as bird watching, sporting events, inspecting roofs, viewing the moon, visiting state or national parks or whenever you need closer viewing of a subject from a distance.
- Binoculars may be borrowed for 2 weeks. They are renewable, if there is no wait list.
- Kits may be placed on hold for pickup at any branch.
- There are no fines for late returns on this item.
Place Binoculars on Hold
About this item:
- Replacement cost: $147.00 total
- Binoculars: $130.00 (includes soft case)
- Hard shell case: $17.00
- Model: Nikon Prostaff 3S; Caseling hard case 9" x 8" x 4"
Before you begin:
- The binoculars are in a soft carrying case inside the hard shell case, meant for transit.
- The soft case has a loop for attaching to a belt or strap. Alternatively, the binocular strap can be pulled through the case and worn around the neck with the case still protecting the binoculars.
- The large (objective) lens caps can be attached to the binocular strap or put in the case while binoculars are in use.
- The eye-piece lens cap has one side affixed to the strap.
How to use:
- Remove binoculars from both cases.
- Always put the strap around your neck to prevent accidental drops that may result in lens damage.
- To adjust binoculars for your use:
- The eye width, or interpupillary distance, can be modified; when looking at your subject, gently rotate the binocular body until the two images become one
- Rotate the focusing ring in the center of the binoculars until you get a sharp image of the subject in your left eye.
- Rotate the diopter ring on the right eye-piece until you get a sharp image of the same subject in your right eye.
- After the initial adjustment, looking at other subjects should require only focus adjustments using the focusing ring.
- If you wear glasses, the eyecups should be used in the fully retracted position; if you do not wear glasses the eyecups should be used in the fully extended position (gently turn the eyecup). Depending on the prescription, some glasses wearers may be able to use the binoculars without their glasses.
Tell me more:
- The Prostaff are 8x42, 7.2º. This means they have 8x magnification, 42mm effective diameter of the lens, and a field of view of 7.2 degrees.
- The close focus distance is 9.8 feet or 3 meters. Subjects closer than this will not come into focus. It is not you, its the binoculars.
- This model is considered waterproof up to 1m for short duration
- The binoculars are not perfectly sealed, so don't try to use in or clean with running water
- Really, we trust the manufacturer, no need to test (but we love your curiosity!)
- This model does NOT include a tripod socket nor a tripod adapter
Product guides and information: