Following are the basic, continuing policies established by the Library Board:
The Library Director shall be selected and appointed by the Fairfax County Public Library Board of Trustees.
- Duties and Responsibilities
The Director shall plan, organize and direct the Library system in accordance with Library Board Policies and Bylaws, Virginia Codes, and Fairfax County and City ordinances and policies. The Director implements Board policies and establishes administrative policies in order to provide a balanced and effective library service with the most efficient use of resources. The Director devotes special attention to planning, community affairs, and external relationships.
- Liaison Responsibilities
The Director serves as the primary liaison between the Library Board and Library staff, interpreting Board requirements to the staff and relaying to the Board staff suggestions and recommendations. The Director serves as the day-by-day liaison with the Deputy County Executive overseeing the County Library and other agency and department heads.
- Authority and Accountability
- The Director shall have full authority to select, appoint, and remove all other staff, in accordance with applicable County regulations and procedures. The Director shall administer personnel by County personnel procedures relating to job classifications, the Merit System, salary schedules, hours of work, annual and sick leave, retirement plans, and insurance.
- The Director shall be guided by the "Standards of Personnel" established by the Virginia State Board for the Certification of Librarians and by recommended standards of the American Library Association.
- The Director shall promote personnel management practices that are in accordance with Federal, State, and County laws and regulations with respect to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
- The Director shall encourage in-service training activities.
- The Director may employ two or more members of the same family in the Library System with the stipulation that none must be in a supervisory position over the other.
- The Director, in consultation with the Deputy County Executive overseeing the County Library, shall have the authority to close temporarily individual Library facilities, in considering the safety and well-being of the public and staff. The Director shall inform the Chair and the Board member representing the facility's district on such occasions.
- Financial Management
- The Director shall keep the Trustees informed of the availability of private, Federal and State funds which could enhance the effectiveness of the Library's facilities, staff, materials, and programs. The Trustees shall decide on the merits of which categories to pursue.
- The Director shall brief the Trustees annually on the Library's financial condition upon receipt of the County Audit.
- The Director shall have authority to exercise discretionary adjustments within operating and capital budgets up to a level determined by the Board at the annual meeting.
- Library Records
The Director shall initiate and maintain Library records and reports needed for administrative purposes and adequate to furnish basic information to the Library Board and Deputy County Executive upon request.